Mark A. HollowayShareholder
Mark Holloway began his career working in the field of property and casualty insurance from 1982 to 1989 for Meridian Insurance Company. In 1995, he joined the Stephenson law firm and became a shareholder in 2007. He has represented Indiana counties, towns and cities, law enforcement, public officials and government employees, school districts, and insurance companies in both state and federal courts. He has defended clients in trials, mediations, arbitration, and on appeal to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court. He has taken many depositions of experts and written numerous briefs filed in Indiana and federal courts including Stanley v. Walker, in which the Indiana Supreme Court held the amounts paid for medical services after write-offs were admissible at trial and Bules v. Marshall County, in which the Indiana Supreme Court held the county was immune from liability under the Tort Claims Act due to temporary weather conditions.
Mark concentrates his practice in the areas of municipal liability, civil rights, police and fire department liability, playground, parks and other premises liability, insurance coverage, employment, and other civil litigation involving bodily injury and property damages.
J.D., Indiana School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana, cum laude (1992)
B.S., Indiana University School of Business, concentration in Finance (1982)
Associate in Claims (AIC) and General Insurance Certificate, Insurance Institute of America
Indiana Trial, Appellate and Supreme Courts; U.S. District Courts (Northern District and Southern District of Indiana); Seventh Circuit Court of appeals
2009 Indiana co-defense lawyer of the year, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
Published Works and Seminars
- Columnist for Indiana Insurance News on the topic of errors and omissions liability and coverage, published by Professional Insurance Agents of Indiana, 1994 to 2000
- Author of The Path to Worksite Liability,Claims Magazine, October 1995
- Contributing author, Rough Notes insurance publication
- 1999 CPCU I-day panel moderator on topic of Professional Employer Organizations’ insurance and indemnity issues.
- Speaker and Moderator, Errors and Omissions Seminar, Professional Insurance Agents, 1998 State Convention
- Speaker at risk management training workshops for city and county employees on various topics of municipal liability and civil rights, 2010 to the present
- Author, Guideline for the Newly Elected Governmental Executive to Avoid Political Firing Claims, 2010
- Risk Management presenter, GIE Advisory Committee, Bliss McKnight, Inc., topic of Natural Play Spaces, Playground Safety. November 2014
- Speaker at Seminar, Indiana Association Cities and Towns, for Newly Elected Officials Training, “Mayor’s School”, sponsored by Bliss McKnight, topic of First Amendment Violations on Allegations of Politically Motivated Dismissals of Employees, December 2015.
- Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Speaker, Police Liability Claims From Start to Finish, Offers of Judgment in Federal Court, National Business Institute, June 17, 2016.