James S. StephensonShareholder
James Stephenson has more than 34 years legal experience, devoted to all aspects of insurance defense including claims in wrongful death, civil rights actions, product liability claims, and general bodily injury and property damage claims. Attorney Stephenson specializes in representing governmental entities and officials, and for many years has represented Indiana counties, cities, towns, school districts, elected officials, and government employees in lawsuits in both federal and state courts. He has successfully defended clients in jury trials, as well as on appeal to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Indiana Court of Appeals, and Indiana Supreme Court.
Attorney Stephenson has also been a guest speaker for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, and has conducted numerous training seminars for local units of government pertaining to police practices, tort liability, employment discrimination, and various other topics. He has authored numerous briefs filed before the Indiana and federal courts and has been a contributor to Res Gestae and other legal publications. Attorney Stephenson has also conducted seminars and training sessions for claims representatives and various insurers which insure governmental entities within the State of Indiana.
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1979
Northwestern University, B.A., 1976
Indiana, 1986; Illinois, 1979
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- Civil Rights Section 1983 Death Claims (Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Sept. 2010).
- In-Custody Death: Positional Asphyxia or Excited Delirium Syndrome?
- Premises Liability: Claims Against a Governmental Entity (Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 1997).
- Tort and Constitutional Liability of Local Health Departments (Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Aug. 2003).
- Defending Claims Against Governmental Entities (Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Jan. 1995).
- Avoiding the Effect of Joint Liability in Claims Against Governmental Entities, (Res Gestae, Feb. 1992).
- Rule 68 Offers of Judgment in Actions Arising Under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, (Illinois Bar Journal, March 1986).