Accomplished Indiana Law Firm Defends Government Entities
Knowledgeable Indianapolis attorneys handle civil rights and tort matters
Stephenson Morow & Semler, P.C. defends government entities in all types of litigation, including Section 1983 civil rights claims. We have advised Indiana clients since 1986 and have obtained successful results for clients including cities, counties and public agencies. Our attorneys are frequently retained by insurance carriers who issue policies to government clients, and we also provide guidance directly to officials on a wide range of municipal law issues. Whether your case involves a police officer accused of a civil rights violation, a municipality sued for maintaining unsafe premises, or any other alleged governmental misconduct, our attorneys will work diligently to limit or eliminate compensatory and punitive awards.
Hardworking advocates have a strong community reputation
Governments and leading insurance companies rely on our firm for a number of reasons but most notably because we are:
- Skilled — We understand how to evaluate complex legal matters quickly and develop a careful strategy tailored to our clients’ specific goals. Shareholder James Stephenson has earned an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, a recognition of his legal ability and ethics by attorneys familiar with his work.
- Established — For three decades, our attorneys have won important cases in state and federal courts. Whether you need advice on a specific legal question or seek to establish a favorable precedent, our track record gives you the best chance to achieve your objective.
- Cost-effective — Whether representing government entities or businesses through insurance defense or direct retention by the client, we enable them to budget effectively by communicating clearly about fees and seeking efficient resolutions to disputes that save them both time and money.
We recognize the importance of the work that our clients do, so we care about delivering the highest levels of advice and advocacy so that they can concentrate on their primary responsibilities.
Responsive lawyers provide attentive representation and service
Our lawyers have experience in large firms and government, but we provide the personalized service only available in small offices. We assist in legal practice areas such as:
- Government entity defense — We advocate for government entities in lawsuits alleging civil rights violations, tortious conduct and other types of unlawful behavior.
- Personal injury defense — Awards for personal injury can easily spiral out of control. Our lawyers vigorously challenge these suits and help defeat unwarranted claims.
- Labor and employment defense — In labor and employment actions, we defend public employers in litigation and administrative hearings before agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Civil Rights Defense: We provide comprehensive civil rights defense in Indiana to government bodies, law enforcement officers and other defendants who have been accused of Section 1983 violations or other types of misconduct. Even in controversial cases, our attorneys can effectively confront these allegations.
- Federal court litigation — Our lawyers have won precedential cases in federal court and have a deep understanding of the statutes and special procedural rules that apply there.
In any type of matter, we keep clients completely apprised of case developments and explain what options are available.
Contact an experienced Indiana civil litigation defense attorney
Stephenson Morow & Semler, P.C. represents government, insurance and other clients in civil litigation throughout Indiana. Please call 317-844-3830 or contact us online to schedule a meeting at our Indianapolis office.